Pages

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pee Pee in the Potty! Pee Pee in the Potty!

Maggie got a potty chair last week, due to the unwavering insistance of her Granny. I said, "No, it's waaaayyy to early - they say not to try until she's 18 months." I was sure I was right, although I don't really know who "they" is... must be the same "they" that say your child won't start sitting up until she's six to nine months old, and the same "they" that say your kid won't start walking until she's a year old. "They" have never really been good judges of my child's development however, and apparently "they" are a little off on the potty-thing too.

I put the Potty in the half-bath on the first floor, where Maggie and I spend most of our time (um, we spend most of our time on the first floor, not in the bathroom) and the past day or two I've been letting her sit on her Potty (fully clothed) while I was on the grown-up version. At this point I'm still thinking, it's way too early for this, but since she likes to mimic right now I'll at least let her sit here. Today when we came home from the store I rushed in to use the bathroom and Maggie was hot on my heels - she says "Potty?" and I say, "Yeah, I'm gonna go potty, wanna come with Mama?" This is the first time I actually go to the trouble of taking off her shorts and diaper before putting her on the potty. She sits there, with a cute little look on her face, and when I say, "OK, all done, lets go!" she gets up off the chair and...ta da! THERE'S PEE PEE IN THE POTTY!

"Woo hoo! You went pee pee in the potty! What a big girl! What a good job!" etc. etc. etc. It had to have been lucky timing, right? I'm still shocked. (seriously, are these the kinds of things that shock me these days? a toddler peeing in a bucket? I have to get out more.)

So the fun begins, we are officially starting potty training, wish us luck!

No comments: