Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Done with Summer

The end of this week is supposed to be the hottest temps in over a month, but the past few days have me in an Autumn state of mind. Not only has it been wonderfully cool and clear, but the leaves are already beginning to change and all of Maggie's "summer" classes are coming to an end.

Yesterday I was sitting on the back deck with Maggie while she played in her swimming pool. I could faintly hear the high school band practicing in the football fields about a mile from our house, every so often interrupted by the band teacher shouting instructions through a megaphone. I just had to breath in deep and appreciate the moment. Finally feeling safe in our new home, finally doing the job I've been wanting to do for the past 17 months, it's a warm summer day and I'm recalling my own high school experience and thinking about what it will be like for Maggie in high school. Will she be a band geek like her mom? Or a jock like her dad? Will she build floats for the homecoming parade? Will she be homecoming queen?

And as I sit and listen to the familiar arrangements of every high school marching band, I can't help but think, "What did I ever do to deserve this?" And I mean that in the best possible way. What did I ever do that was so great, to deserve this perfect moment, with my perfect daughter? Can you clue me in?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I love Autumn by the way - my FAVORITE season of them all :)

1 comment:

Jason said...

Because good people deserve good things.