Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Maggie Language 101

Welcome class, to your first online course in Maggie Language. Today I'll be sharing a list of terms and sentences that you can expect to use in daily conversation with Maggie, followed to the right by their translation.

1. Elmo Worll - "I would like to watch Sesame Street please." (sometimes preceded by "La la la, la la la, Elmo Worll" for added emphasis.)
2. Bebe - "Payton!" (our dog)
3. GeeGee - "Stevie!" (our other dog)
4. Guy - Any unknown male, or any male with a name she can't pronounce yet.
5. Doggy Show - "I would like to watch Martha Speaks please."
6. Baby Show - "I would like to watch Monsters Inc. please."
7. Birdie Show - "I would like to watch Up please."
(do you see a trend forming)

8. Hi-lo (with a hand held up to her ear) - "Where is my cell phone mom?"
9. Cangee - "Can I have a piece of candy please?"
10. Mama poopoo!!! - "Mom, I have to pee, now!!!"
11. Ah-dah - "All done" (commonly used when eating, playing, painting, shopping, and peeing)

When you come across a word or sentence you do not assume that Maggie is attempting to mimic an actual word, as she may be mimicking a sound associated with that word. Look for hand gestures as clues. Such as...

1. A clicking noise accompanied by jazz hands commonly means she wants to be tickled or wants to tickle you.
2. If she takes off your socks and starts messing with your toes she wants to do "This little piggy went to market" with you.
3. If she grabs your hand, tries to walk you in a circle and says something resembling "ashes ashes" she wants to play Ring Around the Rosey.

This concludes your first lesson in Maggie language.

My three favorite sentences from this week...

While letting me know that the dog had pooped on the deck outside the patio door window - "Mama, poopoo! Bye bye Geegee poopoo!"

When she dropped my pack of gum on the floor in the kitchen - "No doggy! That's Mama's Cangee!"

And last but not least - "Sorry Mama."

No comments: