Pages

Friday, February 26, 2010

Homemade Sausage - and It's Actually Good!

I can't believe I didn't post about this earlier, especially considering how hysterical all our "city" friends might find it. This year we bought a half a cow and a quarter of a pig to freeze in our basement. I kinda feel like I'm living in a Little House on the Prairie book, storing meat for the year like this. But just because I feel like I should be wearing an ankle length cotton skirt doesn't mean I'm not super excited about this cow and pig. The meat comes from a family members farm in Iowa and I can't tell you how reassuring it is to know exactly where your food is coming from. I mean seriously, have you ever seen that movie Fast Food Nation? Anyhoo...

So now that we have several pounds of unseasoned pork sausage hanging around the house I figured I had better figure out what to do with it. Turns out Alton Brown has an excellent recipe for pork breakfast sausage (which can be found here). I made it yesterday and tasted it this morning and holy crap - I can't believe I made homemade sausage that actually tastes like it's supposed to taste!

No comments: