Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Handy Helper

I never underestimate my girl Maggie, and instead choose to assume that she is waaayyy smarter than her age would suggest. Therefore, she is given the opportunity to "help" at many minor tasks with the sincere hope that learning this way will help her build confidence and independance at an early age. BUT sometimes.... I just don't need your help baby.

For example, last night. I offered to cook Jason whatever he wanted for fathers day - any recipe out of any cookbook. He chose Pan Roasted Chilean Sea Bass, a recipe that called for from scratch Bouillabaisse Sauce, saffron potatoes, and sauteed fennel, leeks, tomato and herbs. Challenging. And who is all super-hyped to help because she just so happened to recieve two pink plastic cooking spoons of her very own earlier that day? Maggie, the Handy Helper!

"I help Mama!" she declared, and demanded to be sat on the counter... next to two sharp knives, two boiling pots, a pan of sauteeing veggies, and numerous dirty bowls, spoons, etc., a pink-plastic spoon in each hand. "Here Maggie, you can help by holding this stick of butter." It was the safest thing I could find within a three foot diameter of the kid. She held on to that butter like a champ.

So, are you wondering if the dish turned out? Why yes, yes it did - and here is my photo to prove it. Yummy, yum, yum, yum...

No comments: