Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Who Needs Feminism...

...when you've got Barbie princesses!

Maggie borrowed a new (to her) Barbie movie from the library this week. It is about 12 dancing princesses. Could there be a better movie for a two year old little girl? Dancing, check. Princesses, check.

At the end of the movie Genevieve (aka Barbie) marries her "prince" (aka the royal cobbler). Maggie says to me, "I wanna marry a prince too, just like the movie!" and "I'll wear a crown and my slippers. And pink!" Part of me wanted to tell her that she doesn't need a prince, she'll have her doctorate from Harvard to keep her warm at night. But I didn't, because what I was really thinking was, "She'll make a beautiful princess." And then I cried, just a little bit. One tear, I swear.

Incidentally - I think the moral of this movie is something along the lines of princes and princesses come in all shapes and sizes... although I must say, a travelling shoe salesman would not have been my first choice for a princely son in law.

No comments: