Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas

I wish I could say that this Christmas was all that I had hoped it would be, but then I would be lying. I had hoped that I would feel cozy at home with hot chocolate in one hand and a Christmas cookie in the other, while my perfect little angel sat at my feet listening to me explain the miracle of Christmas and fondling family ornaments. I had hoped that I would spend hours upon hours baking delicious treats and singing carols, sledding and building snowmen. I had HOPED that I wouldn't feel like complete GARBAGE from the evil parasite spawn (albeit completely wanted and loved) growing in my abdomen.

I did manage to make some cookies...with the help of my sister-in-law, but not a single carol was sung, snowman built, nor ornament fondled. It was all I could do to keep my ass off the couch and Maggie mildly entertain the past five weeks. This should also explain why you didn't see a blog entry for the better part of Nov/Dec.

Anyway, back to Christmas... Although it was no where near as idyllic as I had originally intended, Christmas wasn't entirely ruined by this pukey mama. Maggie did seem to enjoy all of her gifts, especially the baby doll that sits on the baby potty and makes real pee noises (and disgustingly a real-ish poo noise as well). Another fav is the Fisher-Price "My First Dollhouse", she can't keep her hands off all the little pieces.

Which reminds me... now that she's older she really likes role-playing toys, things that help her use her imagination. And you know what most of those toys have in common? LOTS OF LITTLE PIECES OF PLASTIC. You thought your baby cornered the market on plastic paraphernalia, you were wrong. There are now four-hundred-thousand tiny pieces of dollhouse furniture, ice cream parlour, cupcake factory, baby doll accessories, little people, and god knows what else storming around my house... and I have no idea what belongs to which.

I digress... back to Christmas. We actually celebrated at home on the 19th because of our annual trip to Cayman that followed on the 20th. Maggie was lucky enough to have her Granny and Papa and Uncle Wawa visiting with us while we opened gifts and ate Dominos pizza. That's right, no ham, no mashed potatoes, just pizza - cuz I felt like CRAP the whole night. I hate morning sickness!

I really thought Maggie would "get" Christmas a lot better this year, and she did... I guess... but not as much as I thought. I think the only thing she really "got" was that candy (or "cangee" as she calls it) mysteriously appears in her advent calendar every day. Note to parents just starting the advent calendar... if your kid is too young to understand that each slot is different day get one that you can remove the candy/toys from and leave all of them empty except the one day you're celebrating. We leaned that one the hard way.




No comments: