Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

You're Not the Boss of Me!

I don't consider myself a particularly over-cautious, over-controlling parent. I don't really want my kid to crack her head open any time soon, but it's not like I wrap her in bubble wrap or anything. And although we're working on the concept of "chores" it's not like I'm telling Maggie to do her own laundry or go walk the dog. But since kids are like little mirrors, your mannerisms and behavior are mimicked in them, I have to take complete responsibility for spawning a bossy kid.

It's cute, for now, when she looks over her shoulder while going down the stairs and warns me, "Mom, hold on to the railing, so you don't fall down!" and then waits, watching me, until I follow her instructions. It's funny, at the moment, when she yells from the bathroom, "Mom, I need HELP! Wipe my butt!!!" And it's almost (but not really) helpful when she decides to assert her authority over the dogs and demands they go outside, or eat their food, or come inside, or play with their toys, or move, move, MOVE!

I suppose I should not be surprised that our first-born (the child of two first-borns) should display these bossy tendencies. Actually, surprise isn't really the emotion I feel... is it wrong that I feel a little proud?

No comments: